Buy this item and earn 249 points valued at $12.45.
Highlights of Version 3
Each of the three main oscillators can use now samples instead of the built-in waveforms. The samples are organized in up to 16 key zones and 2 morph zones, making for a total of up to 32 sample files for each oscillator. Due to it’s high quality re-sampling algorithm, you can use a single sample for the whole tonal range!
This new module allows for real-time morphing between two 16 pole filters selectable from a set of predefined vocal filters.
In addition to the high-level arpeggio functions of the built in sequencer, TERA 3 now offers a simple standard arpeggiator for each part.
The amplifier module now has two additional stereo inputs allowing for stereo effects inside the synthesis patch. The spectrum oscillator has a new stereo output for stereophonic wavetable synthesis.
The four multi-segment envelopes in TERA can now be used in a new “free” mode where each envelope can be used independently. These envelopes can be saved and loaded from special envelope presets.
The standard envelope generators have also gotten a new Attack/Decay only mode.
The Spectrum oscillator has many new functions:
- uncorrelated stereo output
- spectrum presets
- separate spectrum parameters for two sets of oscillators
In addition to the additive sine synthesis used in TERA 2 as a basis for the wavetable generation process, the following methods can also be used:
- wavelet synthesis
- walsh function synthesis
- operator synthesis
Voltage controlled amplifier (VCA)
This new module works just like a ring modulator, except here one input is used to modulate the amplitude of the other input.
New module inputs
The outputs of the envelopes and the LFO’s can now be used as inputs for the signal processing modules of TERA. previously, these outputs could only be used in the modulation matrix.
New Modulation sources
Two modulation sources have been added:
Key alternate: can be used to get a different sound on every other note (IE: like bow up/down in natural string instruments )
Key random: creates a random control signal on every note.
The modulation matrix has been given a copy/paste function for transferring modulations between presets. Modulated parameters are indicated in the user interface through a color change of the parameter knobs.
The unique 8D morph control of TERA is now also usable for the six special synthesis pages introduced in TERA 2. The controller settings can be copied and pasted between presets and each dimension can be labelled individually.
“Fly over” tool tip help system
You can get more information on a particular parameter by moving the mouse over it, revealing a small window with detailed parameter info.
The new TERA sound banks contain 256 presets, including some from the well-known sound designer Howard Scarr.
For the new sample module a set of about 35MB of multi-samples is included. In addition to the traditional bank structure all presets are now available in a hierarchical folder structure for easy sound categorization and searching.
- MIDI controller editor for easier assignment of MIDI controllers to parameters.
- Selection fields (eg. Wave selection) can now be assigned to MIDI controllers
- Receive MIDI input from multiple devices simultaneously.
- Scroll wheel can be used for parameter adjustments on Windows XP.
- Smaller user interface makes plugin usage more convenient.
- Parameter fine adjustment control with Shift+Drag function.
- Glissando function (chromatic glide)
- Each Sequencer part can now control an external synthesizer (Windows XP)
- RTAS plugin for WinXP and OS X.
VST2 plugin for WinXP and OS X.
AudioUnit plugin for OS X.
- PC Windows XP / Pentium 2 400MHz / 512 MB or better
- Mac OS X 10.3 / G3 300 MHz / 512 Mb or better
New in Version 3.1
- Quality setting for sampler module ( very fast standard / slow high quality )
- Stereo sample files now possible
- Enhanced randomizer function
- Stereo phaser/flanger option
- Polyphonic unison function with random sample variation
- Fractal random presets for spectrum oscillator and custom oscillator
- Improved step sequencer layout
"These days, it takes an instrument of immense power, flexibility and sound quality to prick up our jaded ears.
VirSyn TERA 3 is such an instrument..."
"Its analogue synthesis is among the best on the market, and its modern synthesis methods can produce breathtaking timbres"
Computer Music April 2006 Rating 10/10